Skip to main content

I Did It!

This post has nothing to do with painting of any kind, but something much more important, to me at least. It is my biggest accomplishment thus far and I wanted to write down my thoughts and feelings, while I still have them.

I graduated from college yesterday. I spent the last five years attending Westminster College and yesterday was a day that I wasn't sure would ever come. I majored in Aviation: Flight Operations and spent much of my time at the airport, flying airplanes. I haven't flown in a while but I think I ended up with about 350 hours. I earned my private, instrument, commercial, and multi-engine ratings. Toward the end of my education, I decided that flying probably isn't for me. This change of heart was a result of many things, but most of all because my eyes were opened to all the other opportunities in the aviation industry. There is a place for me out there, somewhere. I just need to find it.

I was originally pursuing an art minor, which is why it took me an extra year to finish. After taking more classes and trying to figure things out, it just made more sense to switch to an aviation management minor.

Yesterday was everything I thought it would be, and more. I was continually reminding myself to be present, because I didn't want to miss anything. I want to remember it all: the inspirational speakers, the feelings and emotions, even how everything looked, forever. I was in awe of the caliber of people I was surrounded by, and truly honored to be able share that day with them.

I am grateful to have participated in the tradition of the graduation processional. I thought a lot about how strange the whole thing is. We put on weird hats with tassels hanging off of them. We wear silly robes and cords with more tassels. And we are honored and congratulated by people wearing even stranger things: the colorful robes with velvet, hoods, and hats that make even less sense. It seemed to me that the stranger one was dressed, the more honorable they were.

After looking at all the professors with their weird clothes and hats, and watching the masters graduates, with their hoods, it made my accomplishment feel rather small in comparison. I really admire those who can continue their education beyond an undergraduate degree. It has made me reconsider continuing my education to get a masters degree.

I finished my undergraduate degree with few regrets. I can only think of two:
1: I wish I would have given more effort during my first few years. At that point I felt like I had so far to go and like I had time to make things better later. When I started seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, I had an "oh crap!" moment and got my stuff together. My lowest grade was a B-, and I still graduated with honors, but I feel like I could have done better, and would have done better had I put forth more effort in the early years.
2: I wish I would have been more involved in campus activities and made more friends.  I wish I would have lived on campus, even though that would mean that I would be in even MORE debt right now. I suppose I didn't really care at the time because I wasn't going to college to make friends. I had something more important to accomplish. Then yesterday, I really wanted to be able to share that day with friends. I felt kind of alone in a big sea of graduates. Granted, most of my friends graduated last year and I probably wouldn't have felt that way if I graduated on time. I just feel like I missed out on some opportunities there.

I didn't think I would be sad about my college career ending. And I suppose I am not sad that it is over, but more sad that, as my dad said, this chapter in my life has ended. But alas, the time has come to move on. Although, I'm not entirely sure what I am moving on to.





My diploma, framed and ready to be hung.
To see picutres of my graduation day, visit my mom's blog: Williams Family Happinesses.

Comments

  1. We are so proud of you and all that you have achieved for yourself. You will never be sorry that you got your degree. Way to Go Emilee! We look forward to a bright future ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it was an amazing day for you, but I was equally amazed by all of it and wasn't even graduating! It really left an impression on me and also left me in awe of how significant a college education is. I am also in awe and so proud of my beautiful daughter who is smarter than anyone I know and who knows how to work hard, persevere and accomplish climbing even the tallest mountains in life. You will benefit from your degree your whole life and you should be extremely proud of all you have accomplished. You are part of an elite group of women who can say you graduated from college. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Floral Watercolor 5

I got a new handmade watercolor pallet from Designs by Rachel Beth on Etsy and I couldn't wait to try it. I'm pretty excited about how this one turned out-- especially the yellow rose shape. That one didn't turn out so great the last time I tried it. I think using a smaller brush helped.

White Poinsettia

I love painting poinsettias. It's a rather simple flower and the layers and shadows make it a lot of fun to paint. I have painted a few red poinsettias, but never any white. I've always been intimidated by the white ones-- until now! It turns out they're not that hard to paint at all. I especially had fun with different tones of white in this one.

Painting With Straws

I found this  link to an awesome blog on Pinterest: Grow Creative . She has lots of fun ideas for watercolors and I am going to try a few. One of them was blowing paint with straws. I remember doing this is elementary school, but forgot all about it until I saw it on Pinterest (where I found her blog). Of course I had to try it again. Here are the results: Fun! I'll definitely be doing this again when I get bored and don't know what to paint. I would suggest taking breaks often while doing this...I definitely got a little light-headed. Blowing through a straw is harder than you might think... Toby was very interested in what I was doing when I was working on these...